Sunday, April 15, 2007

THE STIGMA OF BEING SINGLE

One of my greatest fears coming back home from New York in 2003 was the oft- repeated greeting in Manila to a single girl in her late twenties and thirties of: “Are you married yet?” (Answer: No). Next question, “Why not? Your standards must be too high.”

This is a nightmare that replayed in my head before heading back home at age 34, single, never been married and no boyfriend in sight. How to stay polite when bombarded by this question of why your marital status is S as opposed to an M. A very private matter, like how much you weigh. This reminds me of another favorite greeting in Manila that goes: “Hi, you’ve gained weight.” Or “Hi, you’ve lost weight.” We will leave that discussion for another article.

There used to be a time when getting married and having children was one of the requirements and rites of passage into adult life. People very readily settled down and lived happily ever after. So we thought……

Life seemed much simpler back then. A woman’s role was limited to managing the household, taking care of her husband and raising her children. This dynamic worked until the era came when two incomes were necessary to support a family, bringing women into the workforce. The once dependent wives now had their own disposable incomes. Women all of a sudden had freedom, independence and choices.

I turned 38 in October last year and something funny is happening in my brain. Marriage, which I have romanticized since I was a young girl, has lost its “necessity for a fulfilling and complete life” appeal. It now only has “it’s entirely my call when I meet the right guy” appeal. Nowadays, being married has become a luxury. You don’t need it to survive but you may still want it, at a price that may have already grown too steep for some.

Maybe it’s because I see how many people among my peers are already separated with children. Maybe it’s because I see that a lot of marriages, especially the ones that couples got into for all the wrong reasons, are not the happy and fun partnerships they ought to be. Maybe because I see that being married to the wrong person is a fate much worse then waking up and eating breakfast by yourself.

It has become more difficult for people to make the decision to settle down nowadays. The longer you are single, the more ensconced you are in your own lifestyle. Have a confession to make. I've worked so hard to reach a happy single equilibrium that I now sort of, in a weird and ridiculous kind of way, dread the day when a man will come along from the heavens and tilt the balance and contentment I struggled to create. I will only accept a co-pilot if I get an overwhelming and comforting feeling that my prospective partner will be worth giving up my hard-earned singleness for…..We must agree at the minimum of where we are going and what route we are taking. A 38-year old woman by force of habit has become protective of her closet space and her personal space, in general. And you can’t blame her for that.

Let me go back to the original idea of not settling for less than who you think is the best partner for you. Maybe I have become too rigid, too picky and too narrow-minded in my wiser and baggage-filled years to allow me to take the plunge into that pool of marital bliss. But upon further introspection, I am comfortable with the notion that I haven’t become impossible to please. I have just come to know, accept and appreciate myself more. I am much clearer about what kind of person I want to share my life with and what I am/am not willing to compromise in this partnership that I hope will last into my golden years.

I have dated enough to have a good idea of what’s out there, but I haven't found someone who I felt was worth staying around for. And in marriage, one has to be black or white in picking. It's not fine china we’re choosing here folks, it's a lifetime partner. Unlike major department stores, there is no such thing as an even exchange. The refunds will cost you!

I only have one life and thus far, husband and kiddies notwithstanding, it’s been pretty damn good. I do have high standards. But I have high standards for everything in my life, with marriage just being one of them.

For the first time in a very long time, I can honestly say, I am single and I am fine with it.


Tina Vitas
Makati City

5 comments:

norman said...

life can illicit enough tang induced eye flickering sensations without the stigma of being single. my lovely penny and i married late and know what its like being solo for quite a long while. hmmm... guess we had it grand because we had tribes of friends from every conceivable quirk of life.

nice seeing an old friend's blog.
see me at...
www.myspace.com/normanaquino

Windowshopper said...

It is surprising that till now some people expect a woman to be married at a certain age--I think with all the challenges we are faced with on a daily basis, we should just focus on having fun. Accept what is presented to you and make the most of it.

Dinner and drinks soon?

Mayi

Katrina said...

I guess I'm lucky that I have so many unmarried friends, so I don't often encounter questions about my single status. In fact, it's usually only at family reunions that I do -- though, after years of asking, I think even they've given up. (Of course, some might say that I actually am practically married, and that all that's missing is a piece of paper. Nevertheless, in this society, and for all intents and purposes, I'm single.)

You know, unlike most girls, I never romanticized marriage. And, given my personality, I knew that finding the right partner wouldn't be easy. So, early on, I declared that I wasn't going to settle for anything less; if need be, I'd never get married. The funny thing is, although it seems that I have found that partner, still I hesitate to take that final step. I guess that, like you, I have become so comfortable and so protective of my freedom that I am loath to give it up.

Hay nako, this is a topic that should be discussed at length...so I agree with Mayi: let's go out again soon for dinner and drinks! We don't need for a balikbayan to visit just to get together for a chat, do we? :-)

Katrina said...

By the way, who designed your logo? It's very cute. :-)

pinaysideup said...

Katrina, Ella Saballa designed my logo. The same web designer who suffered me for the building website of Providence Tower. There are lots of images and colors that are redolent of Filipino-ness and American-ness in me.....Thank you. Gals, how about dinner in July? I believe Millet is already here the first week. PINAY SIDE UP