Thursday, August 9, 2007

MUSIC TO MY EARS, MAYBE EVEN YOURS

If I had to be born again, I would love to be blessed with a voice like Shirley Bassey’s no doubt (and maybe Gwen Stefani in this era, Gavin Rosdale included please).

Painfully aware that my talents lie elsewhere, I started taking formal voice lessons about a year ago at Selah Music Basement. Why, you ask? For fun, for self-expression and for a CD entitled “aDIVA on Board” that I want to record this year and launch by October 2008. Mind you, I didn’t give up my dayjob for this project of mine. I am bold but not delirious……

Two weekends ago, I recorded three songs with a 5-man band from the UST Conservatory of Music and my voice coach, Annabelle Montes. The venue was my friends’, Geri & Dan Gil, studio in Makati called Liquidpost. I was ably assisted by Sound Engineer Alan during the recording. I was quite impressed at the level of technology that is now used in the music industry. Wow!

First attempt at recording the songs took about 4 hours. I got the digitally remixed version this week and I have to admit, it was so-so. The end result was not as horrible as it could’ve been, but neither was it noteworthy enough to share with a larger audience. Unfortunately, I am my own worst critic.

I love writing. I love the interplay between words. I love the fluidity when one sentence rolls into another flawlessly and paragraphs layer one on top of each other.

What I find magical is when one can actually put music to accompany words and bring them to life with an emotion and resonance that mere text does not always have. Something in the marriage of music and lyrics captures a feeling like no other medium, in my mind, can. The song allows the listener to be privy to the depths and dimensions of the songwriter and performer’s inner worlds.

If you’re unlucky enough to be the recipient of a baby CD, bear with me. I am keeping my fingers crossed it will be music to your ears, just as it still was to mine.

Tina Vitas
Makati City

2 comments:

francis said...

I see the point…crystal clear. In my world, I have made my share of wrong decisions (like throwing good money at a bad business for example) that taught me how to be stronger/shrewder as my Jewish friends would say . However, I agree that there is a pre-destiny of human creatures – whether it’s luck or intuition or being at the right place at the right time or being blessed. That’s probably why I feel so scared of wronging other people….because the pre-destined luck might eventually run out.

norman said...

put it up in myspace for the world to sample. my muso friends do it to form a base for listeners and build a community with other artists.

shirley bassey, original diva... put bleeps and beats to it and you've got history repeating.

keep on flying, tins - if anything, that's what you're built for.

if you find yourself in facebook, search me up. tah.