Saturday, June 16, 2007

BEHIND THE SCENES OF THE SCENTSATIONS LAUNCH

SCENTSATIONS has arrived…..

I picked up a line of locally manufactured, designer-inspired fragrances in the hopes of branding and distributing it. Tall order for a petite entrepreneur like me. I figured that if I was able to make a brand icon out of my mom with her restaurant, Mama V, I can do the same with an unknown line of high-quality designer inspired fragrances. (Imitation is, after all, the highest form of flattery, isn’t it?) Started with the appropriate name – SCENTSATIONS. A play on the word sensations. Sense of smell evokes a lot of memories, emotions, thoughts and sometimes, even imagery.

My first step was to convince a few direct sales agents who were in my natural environment - voice teacher and receptionist at music school, therapist at beauty salon, housekeeping at my office building, secretary at my financial adviser’s office, my nephew’s yaya - to sell the fragrances on commission. The goal was to get feedback from a diverse set of customers. I was encouraged by the overwhelmingly positive responses across the board.

Quick lesson in my direct sales experience was to downsize. The 100 ml. bottle was value for money which made it relatively cheap; but Filipinos are generally more concerned that the product is absolutely cheap in real peso numbers. Interesting for me to see this at play because I learned the opposite philosophy in Emerging Markets investments. Relative value is more important than absolute value. In a sense, Filipinos are a very peculiar breed.

Step two was to switch to the 50 ml. bottle and try a bigger audience at a bazaar setting. I turned in an application to the monthly Karl Edward Bazaar at the NBC Tent and was told there was no availability. After several follow-up calls from my office, I was accepted on May 21st for the mid-June bazaar. Perfect venue to launch SCENTSATIONS since the Karl Edward Bazaar already has a loyal following.

With 9 women’s fragrances and 8 men’s fragrances I handpicked myself, I officially introduced SCENTSATIONS to the general public today, Saturday, June 16, 2007. Successful launch of a new product as measured by visual appeal of the bazaar booth, the presentation of the product and lingering first impressions. I knew that I had to temper my expectations regarding sales volume this early on in the business cycle.

Depending on how the reception grows over the next few months, step three is to bite the cost and rent retail space in a heavy traffic mall. I wish to be able to achieve this within a year’s time in order to have a bigger platform for distribution across a wider market. I will not do this, though, until I’m ready for the long-term commitment of paying exhorbitant rents and until I feel comfortable that my product already has a good base.

I would like to thank Babsi Angeles, my new Business Manager, who has been patient, supportive and tolerant of me in the initial stages of the business-building of Scentsations. She’s doing this while also running my 24-Hour Convenience Store and managing me, her boss (the more challenging of the three).

Many thanks to Kyle Gozo, up and coming Junior Art Director (he refers to himself as “visualizer”), who has helped me with the design, concept and the execution of the bazaar booth above and beyond what I would’ve imagined, especially since he donated his time and creative genius without compensation. It was a great pleasure to collaborate with Kyle because we just threw ideas back and forth at each other until we reached an outcome where we both had our distinct input. I felt like I was back with my old Emerging Markets Team of superstars at Offitbank, a fertile and festive breeding ground of brilliant ideas coming from Richard Madigan, Scott McKee, Lenora Suki and Eduardo Raz Guzman. This is what I miss most in the corporate world – people who stretch your critical thinking and creative imagination beyond your comfort level.

I must say that in the almost four years I have lived in the Philippines, working with Babsi and Kyle has been a breath of fresh air. A rarity indeed. After this reaffirming experience with these two colleagues, I am confident that this country has a pool of people, hiding somewhere, undiscovered, who have the talent, drive and desire to work hard in pursuit of the finest. Very passionate about what they do and have such attention to detail. They will simply not settle for what we have grown accustomed to in our society as “puwede na iyan” and “cutting corners”. These two lethal Filipino work attitudes together produces mediocrity. A sad waste of many of the Filipinos’ natural abilities.

Something worth mentioning to you. Although Babsi did not finish her college degree, she has the panache and the will to overcome what other people would consider an obstacle – lack of education. And because I recognized that she had the attitude of a winner, it would be up to me as her boss and mentor to invest in her, to bring out the “diamond in the rough”, if she survives me…..I am not only demanding, tough and particular, but I also have high standards and high expectations of myself and other people. Mind you, whatever I do is always done with a “wicked” sense of humor, a unique flair, entertaining drama on some days and with a generous hand. Never boring, I promise.

Kyle, meanwhile, is in his twenties. You can’t fathom where he gets the depth of his talent and professionalism from, inspite the lack of work experience on his resume. It must be genetic. He is the nephew of Minyong Ordonez, formerly of Basic Advertising and recently retired CEO of Publicis Group. Most famous for creating the classic and much loved “langhap sarap” ads of Jollibee, among many others. A legend in the Philippine advertising industry. From the looks of it, Kyle could be following in a legend’s footsteps this early on in his career.

Cheers to people like Kyle and Babsi. I am truly inspired after having worked with both of you. Maraming salamat!

Let me leave you with this thought: “If you give your best to the world, the world gives its best back to you.”

And everybody say, amen.

Tina Vitas
Makati City

8 comments:

Katrina said...

Have you noticed that the term "economy size" means opposite things here and in the US? I laughed when I first saw huge packs of toilet paper, soap, etc, in American warehouse stores labeled "economy size," because over here, that would translate to single-packs and sachets. It's the "tingi" mentality -- I think the Phils. is the only country where you can buy cigarettes by the stick. My dad recalls, as a kid, buying peanut butter from the sari-sari store by the spoonful! It's not so strange when you take into account that most Filipinos earn "arawan" or by the day. Therefore, they'd rather buy small portions frequently than large sizes periodically. Our cultural way of thinking about finances is very short-term. Must be another manifestation of the "bahala na" mentality.

pinaysideup said...

Katrina, the strangest thing for me is even some of the theories and best practices I've learned abroad do not work in real life in the Philippines. It's really an ongoing process of adjustment to find out what formula applies. I can't complain, it keeps me sharp and on my toes because this country for me is quite hard to predict and understand. For the most part, it is because I'm just oriented differently than the average Pinoy and Pinay. Also the reason why I can bring something different to the table.....PINAYSIDEUP

Katrina said...

By the way, the term "visualizer" is correct. Although some companies have cut down on the number of titles by calling them Junior Art Director or Art Director Trainee, years ago one had to be a visualizer for some time before earning the right to called an Art Director. Iba kasi 'yung you can already "direct" in terms of concept or look, as opposed to taga-drawing or taga-execute ka lang.

Windowshopper said...

Congratulations on your new venture. For me I would rather buy "big" of anything rather than many small things--for my personal use though. The only time I buy small volume is when I have to travel--that's when I use economy sizes.

Hats off to Babsi--haha.

pinaysideup said...

You have to hand it to Babsi, I'm not easy to deal with even on a good day. Going 300 miles a minute, changing my mind frequently and expecting only the best delivered on time.....But she rises to the challenge and in fact, I think she even enjoys it. She and Kyle (my visualizer/creative executioner) are both my God-sends! PINAYSIDEUP

Mabel said...

Tina - Congratulations on the new endeavor. Glad to see your entrepreneural fire is kicking. BTW, agree with the smaller sizes, it can even become part of your branding. this way consumers can 'try' a lot of different scents instead of committing to 1 or 2. this spoken from a woman with 18 bottles of fragrances in her bathroom - which i shutter to think of how much i spent on them. reminds me of carrie's shoe addiction on SATC. Send news soon and best of luck. xoxo m

pinaysideup said...

Mabel, great to hear from you. Yes, I've actually just come up with a smaller 12.5 ml. bottle for mass markets. Launching that at a bazaar in November & December. Perfect stocking stuffers! PINAYSIDEUP

Ronelle said...

Congrats Tina!!