Friday, June 29, 2007

IT’S IMPOSSIBLE

Friends, I thought that I might relax my style a little bit for this post. And keep it short since these are my random thoughts which spilled over into sentences and paragraphs. Voila - another post.

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day that unnerved and disturbed me deeply. She was not the first person who has said the same exact statement to me with the same exact phrasing: “Tina, you like the impossible!” These are people who know me quite well which makes their comments even more “challenging”…..

I’ve got news for you, boys and girls. “I BELIEVE IN THE POSSIBILITY OF ALL THINGS!” First, because my brain is wired that way and second, because I have incredibly strong faith.

Glasnost and perestroika, end of the Cold War, crumbling of the Berlin wall, gay rights, interracial marriage, vacationing on the moon, the internet, seniors leading healthy lives in their 80’s, the Terminator is now a Governor, 2 female Presidents in the Philippines, fall of apartheid, laser surgery, in vitro fertilization, cloning, physically handicapped men & women in competitive sports, 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center and coming soon to a theater near you - the first black President or the first female President of the United States.

The things, situations and conventions that were back in the day considered UNIMAGINABLE, now have become ordinary facts of life, quite commonplace. Was there really a time when a black person couldn’t sit in front of the bus and heaven forbid, beside a white person? You almost take history for granted since so much has changed. And for the most part, changed for the better.

I’m not an easy study in human psychology because I’m a pragmatist who is both highly analytical and introspective. At the same time though, the flipside of me is an idealist who loves to dream and listens to my raw instinct & intuition even when it doesn’t initially make that much sense to me.

I would not do something if I couldn’t defend it with logic. But it’s funny how sometimes logic has no place in the sphere of thinking that allows our minds to run unleashed and unfettered, stimulating us to do our most creative, innovative and productive thinking. The kind that is outside the box. The kind that breeds change in the world.

I’m a very keen observer of human nature because people simply fascinate me. I’ve noticed across cultures that this holds true for everyone. If you want something very badly, nothing is too difficult. If you don’t really want something, everything is too difficult.

Impossible is a limitation of the human mind and the human spirit. I think that IM in front of impossible only means two things. If you can I-magine it, you can M-anifest it.

This world wouldn’t be as wonderful as it is today if most of us started our days with thoughts like “Naah, it can’t be done. It’s impossible so why bother trying?”

I think I’ve defended my title, Ms. Nothing Is Impossible. Even if I haven’t, I’m happy that I never imposed boundaries on how far my thoughts, hopes and dreams will go. Keeps me thoroughly entertained. Plus, it doesn't cost me a cent.

I leave you with this quote from author Henry James:

“UNTIL YOU TRY, YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO.”

Tina Vitas
Makati City

2 comments:

Windowshopper said...

Yes nothing is impossible. The mind is very powerful and the spirit can be very weak when failure happens. So it is a constant struggle of conditioning your mind, believing in one's capabilities and taking that giant step. I have yet to take mine. You're lucky you are strong willed.

pinaysideup said...

Mayi, I am strong-willed because I had to be.....Living abroad at age 17 when you were so sheltered and protected in Manila from absolutely everything FORCES you to deal with all sorts of situations. I look back on my 9 years in a New York workplace and I continue to be amazed how I survived. What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger, I guess. PINAYSIDEUP