Thursday, July 19, 2007

BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL (AND OTHER BEAUTIFUL THINGS)

I hosted a breakfast gathering for one of my closest and dearest friends, favorite people on the planet and tireless spiritual coach, Ronelle Bell from Cape Town, South Africa on Thursday this week. Ronelle studied in Manila for a year and returned home in May 2006 to work full-time in university campus ministry. We met through our church, the Victory Christian Fellowship at the Fort.

For the Every Nation Leadership Institute (ENLI) World Conference this July 2007, she dragged a team of college kids she mentors all the way to the Philippines to attend the conference. Their schedule was akin to that of a Presidential campaign yet I snagged Ronelle a few times solo (yes, I am a selfish and sometimes, a high- maintenance friend) and on one occasion, Ronelle and her group at breakfast. She is literally a ray of light wherever she goes because of her infectious spirit and upbeat demeanor.

I was blown away by the Cape Town college kids – they were all so sweet, well spoken and delicate. I looked like I had the manners of a pro wrestler compared to them – loud and proud. They had all the shades of black and brown among six of them, including Ronelle. Such diversity in their beauty and color. One looked Latina, the other could pass for a Filipina and the young man was a dead ringer for Ziggy Marley.

Additionally, Ronelle handcarried a few bottles of wine for me from South Africa. I couldn't believe the quality of the wines from their vineyards. It was world class and comparable to the better-known wine producing countries like France, Italy, Spain, Chile, Argentina, Australia and US (California).

Most of the visual I have on Africa are the stories and images flashed on CNN. Not to be rude to Africans, but the themes of these stories often involve bloodshed, violence and famine. I’m not discounting stories of hope in that continent like Nelson Mandela and the demise of apartheid, Oprah Winfrey’s school for girls, Angelina Jolie’s humanitarian missions and many more. Same way that the general perception abroad based on the media is that it’s alarmingly dangerous in the Philippines. Therefore, our country is not a recommended tourist destination.

Although I have lived in a few different places, met and mingled with international people from all over the globe whose caliber I can only aspire towards, I still hold on steadfastly to these ridiculous ideas about people. I’m embarrassed to even admit that for someone who portrays herself as so worldly, parts of me remain quite ignorant. The more we know about the world, the more we break down our prejudices and misconceptions. Oftentimes, they are just that - prejudices and misconceptions based on ignorance and stupidity.

A friend of mine is blessed with supreme genes in the looks department which gets him loads of attention he is not always comfortable with (never imagined one’s beauty could be such a burden…..) But the most arresting thing about him is that he has his heart in the right place and that he has an incredible brain lodged in his head. Even if this person gained forty pounds (sorry, dear), he would still have the goods because the goods are in the right place.

My point is that we connect to people on a level that is more than skin deep, that is more than just commonalities based on the “uncontrollables” that were not of our choosing - like color, nationality, age, religion, looks, intelligence, size, families/money/place we were born into, social status in society etc. The commonalities that truly connect us and connect us with a bond that lasts a lifetime - shared values, goals, interests, dreams, priorities, beliefs, lifestyle, choices and allow me, humor, most definitely……These are really what matter in the long-run, not the color of one’s skin.

After that breakfast, I was humbled to find that there is beauty in many people we come across in life. Sometimes, we are just too blind and too self-absorbed to recognize it and appreciate it.

On a parting note, one of the girls named Zwakele gave us a sample of the song she was performing that evening. I can only tell you one thing, I would like to sing with the soul of a black woman. Hallelujah!

And to my sisters from Cape Town, I say to you with the sincerest of compliments:

BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL!

Tina Vitas
Makati City

2 comments:

Serendipity said...

Hi Pinayside up ! In response to your comment on my post, you'll be happy to know that i have your link on my favorites :) will watch your space! BTW, this post is very nice - for lack of better words. Racial/Colour/Caste discrimination and prejudices are evils that if we all learn to put aside, will make the world SO MUCH better. In India castes and sub castes murdering each other, burnign homes, destroying peace is a monthly (if not more) event. I wish people could just look at the bigger picture - that we're all people with the same kind of feelings, families and aspirations, irrespective of our colour, caste, nationality, languages and other socially set up discriminators.

pinaysideup said...

Serendipity, funny how your blogname is the same exact name I was going to use for my holding company. Anyway, what was most ludicrous about my revelation last week was how ignorant I am inspite of the level of education, exposure and world travels I've already had. It scared me how easily people could be brainwashed into believing that certain races are inferior, certain religions are violent, certain genders are weaker (men - hahaha) and the like. PINAYSIDEUP